Below is an article by Emily Guy Birken. I received this article via email and thought it would be something that might interest you or someone you know…part time jobs with benefits.
If there is someone that you think would benefit from this article, please forward this link to them so that they can take a look at this. Thank you.
The 16 Best Part-Time Jobs With Benefits – Updated for 2012
by EMILY GUY BIRKEN
Working part-time can really improve your work/life balance, and can provide you with the time you need to write that novel, spend time with your kids, or explore your passion for making artisan cheese.
But what will you do without the insurance you receive through your employer?
It’s possible to get individual health insurance, but that is usually limited or comes with a huge price tag.
We’ve all heard the horror stories of families and individuals bankrupted by medical bills. And the only way to keep your employer health coverage is to remain employed full-time, right?
Not necessarily. While not all companies are willing to extend their benefits packages to employees who work less than 25 hours per week, many forward-thinking businesses recognize the value of providing insurance to part-timers. The following sixteen employers offer benefits to part-time employees, leaving you free to think about making Gruyere, rather than worrying about health care costs.
1. Aerotek–This national temp agency offers generous medical benefits to its contracted workers who put in at least 20 hours per week. Medical benefits include dental and vision coverage, and spouses and dependent children are also eligible for the insurance. For a part-timer who needs health coverage for other family members, this would be an excellent employer to join. Check out Aerotek’s benefits page.
2. Barnes & Noble–The ubiquitous bookseller offers
medical and dental coverage for part-time workers, in addition to a Flexible Spending Account, disability and 401(k) life insurance and paid vacation, sick days, and holidays to part time workers who put in at least 20 hours per week. The retailer has recently decided to end its medical and dental coverage for part-timers. However, the chain still provides a 30% discount on books for its employees. Read more aboutBarnes & Noble benefits.
3. JCPenney–This department store considers anyone who works less than 35 hours a week to be part-time. These workers are eligible for medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance. See the JCPenny careers page.
4. JP Morgan Chase–This enormous multinational bank is remarkably generous with its part-time employees, starting with the easy-to-meet eligibility requirements: part-time employees for JP Morgan Chase only need to work between 20 and 40 hours per week in order to qualify for benefits, and those benefits are available starting 90 days after the date of hire. The benefits include medical, dental, and vision, use of flexible spending accounts, disability and life insurance, and a 401(k). In addition, after one year of service, all employees may take part in the JP Morgan Chase retirement plan, becoming 100% vested after three years of service. This is truly a bank that wants to take care of its employees. See Chase careers.
5. Kaplan–This educational company was once only known for test preparation, but it offers many different career opportunities for a part-timer–from teaching and tutoring to customer service and marketing, from publishing and academic administration to technology and management. While Kaplan’s part-timers are not offered the same benefits as its full-time employees, you are still eligible for a limited medical and dental plan, as well as paid time off, commuter benefits and access to a flexible spending account. Check out Kaplan benefits and perks.
6. Lands’ End–This socially responsible retailer provides part-time employees with dental, vision, and life insurance, as well as retirement plans. Though it does not offer medical insurance to part-timers, those who work at the Wisconsin headquarters have access to the medical clinic on site. Also, a generous discount at both Lands’ End and Sears is a major perk for employees. See Lands’ End job benefits page.
To view the other 10 part time jobs with benefits click here.