I sort of came into my work by accident. I have been online for over 10 years … when you could only access college databases and chat with others. As the Internet grew, I grew with it using it to research about working at home. For a long time there wasn’t much posted. Work-At-Home Success was one of the early sites dedicated to providing work-at-home information posted.
Now that I do work from home primarily online, I don’t think I do anything else. I don’t have to go anywhere to research, talk to people, offer content, find work, or submit work.
- Can you tell us a bit about yourself and what you did before you started your e-business.I am a social worker by training. But when my children (I have 2) were born I took jobs in sales and later real estate to gain a more flexible schedule. I had wanted to be an at-home mom but a lack of understanding about how much money I actually spent to work as well as poor money management skills prevented me from quitting. While I was successful in sales, I was always looking for other ways to work at home.
Eventually, the Internet grew and I found freelance work for several companies. Later, I started Work-At-Home Success to provide people with information and resources on all aspects of working at home. I had found most all resources on working at home lacking so, I sought to provide what I had wanted when I first was trying to work at home. More recently, I wrote Jobs At Home: A Complete Guide to Finding or Creating a Work-At-Home Job which provides all the details and resources for making telecommuting a reality.
- Can you tell us a bit about your ebusiness.I actually make money serveral ways using the Internet. First, I perform freelance work for several companies. This work primarily involves research and writing … both of which can be done from my computer. Once I became successful at working at home, I wanted to share what I had learned with others.
I started the Work-At-Home Success web site which offers FREE information and resources on working at home in a job or home business. Besides telecommuting and home business features, the site also offers mentors and profiles a person currently on the journey to work at home. I earn money here from affiliates, advertising and the sale of my book. Since my work doesn’t provide me with royalties or residual income, I also have a home-based business that is run completely online.
- What was your main motivation for starting an e-business. I sort of came into my work by accident. I have been online for over 10 years … when you could only access college databases and chat with others. As the Internet grew, I grew with it using it to research about working at home. For a long time there wasn’t much posted. Work-At-Home Success was one of the early sites dedicated to providing work-at-home information posted. Now that I do work from home primarily online, I don’t think I do anything else. I don’t have to go anywhere to research, talk to people, offer content, find work, or submit work.
- What is the best thing about having an e-business.Convenience is probably the best part. As I mentioned, everything I need to do, I can do online. And others recognize the vast amounts of information and resources to be found on the internet. I probably couldn’t find enough freelance work or people to buy a work-at-home newsletter in my home town. But on the internet, I have access to the whole world. I work for companies in other states. People from all over the world visit my site and use my affiliates (which is what generates money for Work-At-Home Success) and I never have to leave my home.
- What would you have done differently when starting your e-business.I wish I understood how much I paid to work. I made $28,000 a year as a social worker but only $7,900 was left over after work-related expenses. For anyone who wants to work at home, I highly recommend taking a look at what it costs to work. I can guarantee they will be surprised. There is information on the Cost of Work at http://www.workathomesuccess.com/workexpense.htm. And second, I wouldn’t have been taken by scams.
- Are there any tips you want to share with other moms who want to start their own e-business.Choose something you really want to do. It takes time to build a business and even longer to make money at it. You have to really like your work to stick with something without a return for a long time. Also, research opportunities carefully. Don’t be taken by lots of hype. Good opportunities don’t need hype. And, last make a plan and committment to your business. Without a plan, your dream can get lost in the shuffle of everyday life. Make your dream a priority.
- Would you like to recommend any resource that you had found useful. Yikes… there are so many great resources. I guess I’ll have to choose the resource I recommend the most to people who are looking for a way to work at home and that is to read Paul and Sarah Edward’s book Finding Your Perfect Work. It does a great job of helping people determine how they can create work they love.
No related posts.